We will not be accepting applications for 2020.
What is ImmerseAIR?
· Mid-career or established artists in contemporary art
· 3 – 6 months
· Partner with artist’s nation of origin-cultural institution/embassy in Singapore
· Receive the most suitable venue at the end of residency exhibition/presentation
· Obtain substantial, quality time to immerse in the Singapore art scene and benefit from personal research and studio work
ImmerseAIR is provided for from mid-career to established artists in contemporary art. It is catered for artists to have a extraordinary opportunity to partner with the artist's nation of origin-cultural institution or embassy in Singapore. Here in INSTINC, the artist-in-residence will have their works showcase in the most suitable venue at the end of their residency exhibition or presentation. The artists will also be able to attain the utmost quality and uninterrupted time to immerse in the Singapore culture and the local art scene, which would highly benefit their personal research and studio work. The program is scheduled between 3 to 6 months.
The following is provided to all artists under INSTINC AIR:
Marketing & Publicity through INSTINC's monthly e-newsletter and Facebook
Be in the loop of exhibitions
Pick up from Swissotel to INSTINC
Design of exhibition poster
Opening Reception & Exhibition at the end of residency(Optional for artist-in-residence)
· Local or international emerging and established artists of all nationalities and backgrounds working in VISUAL ARTS.
- digital media
· Must be 21 years old before residency begins.
· Past residents may re-apply; however priority is given to artists who have not yet participated in the program.
INSTINC is housed in two locations and consists of 2,000 sq. ft., in SOHO 2. It is conveniently located above Clarke Quay MRT station, overlooking the Singapore River and Clarke Quay. The venue is equipped with Internet, Wi-Fi, linens, beddings, dishes and cooking facilities. In addition, private rooms are situated in front of a 50m-lap pool and include a gym and Jacuzzi.
Access: 24/7 full access to both INSTINC Soho and INSTINC Studios. Both locations are open-concept so INSTINC personnel will have access during business hours (9am- 7pm) . INSTINC Soho is a shared space, with 4 private rooms and 1 shared bathroom & kitchen. Artists who are not comfortable with this arrangment, pls do not apply.
Paid by the artist
The residency fee is SIN$2680 per month, as of artists arriving in JAN 2018 and after (with no exhibition at the end of the resideny) or SIN$2980 (with an exhibition ) as of artists arriving in JAN 2018 and after. This includes housing and studio costs and exhibition (optional). This does not include travel, living expenses and art supplies.
Financial aid is also available for artists that choose the option: SIN$2980(with an exhibition). Art Students who are still within 3 years of graduation can apply for INSTINC grant of up to SIN$500(only applicable for one month and above residency), upon the submission of a transcript from the respective school. However, approval rests on quality of works by the applicant. Due to overwhelming response for this grant we will give up to 4 emerging artists per year as of Jan 2018 and in exchange for this grant, we would like to have a small work of the artist. The work will be discussed upon arrival if artist is accepted for this grant.
If artist choose to have an exhibition at the end,
Artist is in charge of set up and tear down of the exhibition as well as gallery-sitting. If additional installation help is needed, artist will need to engage art installer at artist's own costs. Also, artist is responsible for gallery-sitting on both days when the exhibition is open to public from 12-6pm.
INSTINC will provide a letter of invitation for accepted artists if artists wish to apply for funding from their country.
INSTINC AIR has been supported by these organizations(in no particular order):
Interested artists, please apply here
INSTINC also welcome hard copy applications.
Please send to:
Attention: INSTINC AIR Program Application
12 Eu Tong Sen Street #04-163 Soho2 Singapore 059819
Application should include:
1) Current resume CV , biography and artist statement.
2) Include 5 images of your work created in last one year. Provide image details for each image file (title of work, date executed, media and dimensions).
3) Any brief narrative necessary to provide more information about each individual work and any other documents that will allow us to access your works better. Please include press clippings, interviews etc.
4) A list with the following information: Full name, email address, home address, mobile and home numbers, gender, age, nationality, language spoken, residency period(1, 2, or 3 months), first, second and third choice of residency period, media eg.(painter, print-maker, composer etc.)
Notice of acceptance will be conveyed through email in not more than one month's from the time the application is received.